Medical Review: Hand Surgery After Local Block Versus Non-block
In this study, the effects of local block vs non block will be assessed with respect to postoperative outcomes (such as pain score, and recovery profiles) in outpatients after hand surgery.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Case Control
Time Perspective: Retrospective
|Official Title:||Retrospective Chart-review Study Involving Outpatients Who Underwent Hand Surgery With Local Anesthesia: Comparing Outcome With a Peripheral Nerve Block vs. Local Infiltration Alone|
- postoperative pain [ Time Frame: hours to months ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
- Severity of the pain experienced before patient left the surgery center and after patient arrived at home
- Pain medication (amounts of opioids and non opioids pills) required
d)Time to suffer pain at the surgical site (hand) (days, weeks, or months)
- Nausea [ Time Frame: days to weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
- Severity of the nausea experienced by the patient.
- Medication required.
- Time to suffer nausea.
- Vomiting [ Time Frame: dias to weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
- Medication required
- Time to suffer vomiting
- Outcomes [ Time Frame: days to weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
- Presence of any other problems: (e.g., headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, constipation, difficulty voiding.)
- Time taken to return to normal activities after surgery
- Satisfaction with the pain management after surgery
|Study Start Date:||August 2009|
|Study Completion Date:||July 2011|
|Primary Completion Date:||July 2011 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
|Under Local Infiltration|
|Under Peripheral Nerve Block|
Analyzing medical records and through a telephone questionnaire, in a retrospective and prospective review respectively.
|United States, California|
|Cedars Sinai Medical Center|
|Los Angeles, California, United States, 90048|
|Principal Investigator:||Ronald H Wender, MD||Cedars-Sinai Medical Center|