Cyclophosphamide, Rituximab, and Either Prednisone or Methylprednisolone in Treating Patients With Lymphoproliferative Disease After Solid Organ Transplantation
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy such as cyclophosphamide, prednisone, and methylprednisolone use different ways to stop cancer cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Monoclonal antibodies such as rituximab can locate cancer cells and either kill them or deliver cancer-killing substances to them without harming normal cells. Combining cyclophosphamide and either prednisone or methylprednisolone with rituximab may be effective in treating lymphoproliferative disease following organ transplantation.
PURPOSE: Phase II trial to study the effectiveness of combining cyclophosphamide and either prednisone or methylprednisolone with rituximab in treating patients who have Epstein-Barr virus-positive lymphoproliferative disease following organ transplantation.
|Study Design:||Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||A Phase II Study of the Combination of Cyclophosphamide, Prednisone and Rituximab (CPR) in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults With CD20 Positive Post-Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disease (PTLD) Following Solid Organ Transplantation (SOT)|
- Event-free survival at 2 years [ Time Frame: 2 years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Estimated by Kaplan-Meier method. The correlation between outcome (EFS or OS) and covariates such as EBV viral load, EBV-CTL, subsets of PBL, dendritic cells in peripheral blood, and peripheral blood levels of Rituximab will be evaluated using the proportional hazards model. The correlation between gene expression and survival will also be evaluated using the proportional hazards model
|Study Start Date:||April 2004|
|Primary Completion Date:||October 2009 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Cyclophosphamide, prednisone, rituximab
Patients receive cyclophosphamide IV over 30-60 minutes on day 1 and oral prednisone or methylprednisolone IV twice daily on days 1-5. During courses 1 and 2 only, patients also receive rituximab IV over 2-5 hours on days 1, 8, and 15. Treatment repeats every 21 days for up to 6 courses in the absence of disease progression, a new primary or secondary malignancy, or unrelated disease
Cycles 1 and 2 only: Given IV Incremental: First dosage: < 21 years of age: 0.5mg/kg/hr (maximum of 50 mg/hr) for the 1st hour ≥ 21 years of age: 50 mg/hr for the 1st hour. Subsequent dosages: < 21 years of age: 1.0mg/kg/hr (maximum of 50 mg/hr) for the 1st hour ≥ 21 years of age: 100 mg/hr for the 1st hour. Days 1, 8 and 15.
Other Names:Drug: cyclophosphamide
Given IV over 30-60 minutes Dose 600 mg/m2 in 50-250 mL of NS or D5W (at a maximum concentration of 20 mg/ml) over 30-60 minutes on day 1 of each cycle
Other Names:Drug: methylprednisolone
Methylprednisolone 0.8 mg/kg IV over 12 hours on days 1,2,3,4 and 5 of each cycle.
Other Names:Drug: prednisone
Dosage 1 mg/kg orally every 12 hours on days 1,2,3,4 and 5 of each cycle. Oral prednisone may be rounded up to the nearest 2.5 mg as necessary for tablet size
- Determine the safety and toxicity of cyclophosphamide, rituximab, and prednisone or methylprednisolone in patients with CD20-positive and Epstein-Barr virus-positive post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease (PTLD) after solid organ transplantation.
- Determine the 2-year event-free survival, defined as alive and in continuous complete remission with a functioning original allograft, of patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the response rate in patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the PTLD gene expression profile by microarray analysis and fluorescent in situ hybridization in patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the accrual rate of patients to this study.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study.
Patients receive cyclophosphamide IV over 30-60 minutes on day 1 and oral prednisone or methylprednisolone IV twice daily on days 1-5. During courses 1 and 2 only, patients also receive rituximab IV over 2-5 hours on days 1, 8, and 15. Treatment repeats every 21 days for up to 6 courses in the absence of disease progression, a new primary or secondary malignancy, or unrelated disease.
After finishing study treatment, patients are followed periodically for at least 5 years.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 60 patients (50 with non-fulminant post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease [PTLD] and 10 fulminant PTLD) will be accrued for this study within 2.5-3 years.