Combretastatin A4 Phosphate in Treating Patients With Advanced Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer
RATIONALE: Combretastatin A4 phosphate may stop the growth of anaplastic thyroid cancer by stopping blood flow to the tumor.
PURPOSE: This phase II trial is studying how well combretastatin A4 phosphate works in treating patients with advanced recurrent or metastatic anaplastic thyroid cancer.
|Study Design:||Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Phase II Trial Of Combretastatin A-4 Phosphate (CA4P) In Advanced Anaplastic Carcinoma Of The Thyroid|
- Median survival [ Time Frame: every 8 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Objective disease response [ Time Frame: every 8 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
|Study Start Date:||February 2003|
|Study Completion Date:||January 2008|
|Primary Completion Date:||February 2007 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Drug: fosbretabulin disodium
- Determine the objective response rate of patients with advanced anaplastic thyroid cancer treated with combretastatin A4 phosphate.
- Determine whether this drug alters the natural history of anaplastic thyroid cancer, in terms of doubling the median survival from 4-6 months to 12 months, in these patients.
- Determine the safety profile of this drug in these patients.
- Correlate clinical response with pretreatment tumor microvessel density and immature vessel staining, changes in sICAM-1 levels over the course of treatment, and pharmacokinetic parameters in patients treated with this drug.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study.
Patients receive combretastatin A4 phosphate IV over 10 minutes on days 1, 8, and 15. Courses repeat every 28 days in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. Patients achieving a complete response (CR) receive 2 courses beyond documentation of the CR.
Patients are followed monthly.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 32 patients will be accrued for this study within 18-24 months.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00060242
|United States, Michigan|
|Josephine Ford Cancer Center at Henry Ford Hospital|
|Detroit, Michigan, United States, 48202|
|United States, Ohio|
|Ireland Cancer Center at University Hosptials Case Medical Center, Case Comprehensive Cancer Center|
|Cleveland, Ohio, United States, 44106-5065|
|United States, Pennsylvania|
|Hillman Cancer Center at University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute|
|Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States, 15232|
|Study Chair:||Panayiotis Savvides, MD||Ireland Cancer Center at University Hosptials Case Medical Center, Case Comprehensive Cancer Center|